Network with people interested in permaculture design within any of New York's counties located north of New York City. Permaculture practitioners are welcome to join, share ideas and projects, and promote local events. Please limit your contributions to messages directly related to permaculture ideas and activities.
We are looking for land! Are you looking for some great neighbors? Let me know if anyone in this network sees anything available that approximates this description.
Size: 20 to 300 acres
- Mixed vegetation (cropping land, pasture, forest)
- Uncontaminated soil
- Small elevation change
- South facing slope
- Independent and clean water supply
- With or without infrastructure
Location: United States
- Vermont: Montepelier is northern limit
- Western Massachusetts
- Upstate New York
- It is important to be a short distance to a city/town
Price: Less than $400,000
Vision: We are small group (8 to 12) of intimate friends interested in farming, sustainable living, education, community development and conservation. We have ample experience in natural building, permaculture design, farming/gardening, community living, etc through the creation and management of a number of projects, principally Rancho Mastatal Sustainability Education Center and Round the Bend Farm Center for Restorative Community.
We hope to create a community of autonomous and interconnected homesteads which provide a home base in the states. Some individuals would be part time on the land, some full time. We are open to working with land trusts, elderly farmers searching for a transition plan, and already established projects/farms.
If anyone in this network is aware of land, roughly matching this description, please send a message to Laura Killingbeck (theluckylaura). Thank you in advance.
This weekend is the Finger Lakes Permaculture Tour!
The people at Cayuta Sun Farm are looking forward to the event and welcome your to visit our woodland farm.
Schedule of events:
- From 12 to 4 p.m. we’ll offer our guests a generous BBQ lunch featuring half of a grass-fattened chicken with potato salad for $10 thanks to chef Jake Delisle of Roaming Root Farm.
- At 1, 2 and 3 p.m. permaculture teachers Erin Humphries, Amiee Heavy and Laura Kennedy will give brief presentations to introduce visitors to the basic principles and strategies of permaculture design.
- Interns Andew Olcott and Jason Maanka will demonstrate how our shiitake mushrooms are produced all afternoon. Inoculated mushroom logs will be for sold for $20
- Farm co-owner Michael Burns will give ongoing tours of Cayuta Sun Farm from 1 to 4 p.m.
- We’ll also be selling frozen chicken and fresh shiitake mushrooms until sold out.
About the Finger Lakes Permaculture Tour:
The tour is sponsored by the Finger Lakes Permaculture Institute with the cooperations of thirteen different farms, homes, and parks in or near Ithaca and Syracuse, N.Y.
The first event is a showing of the new permaculture movie "Inhabit" at the Schuyler County Human Services Building on Tioga Street in Montour Falls. The filmmaker will be present to answer questions afterwards.
On Saturday morning sites in Syracuse, and east or south of Ithaca, will be open to visitors. In the afternoon, sites west of Ithaca will be open to tours until 4 p.m.
In the evening (5 p.m. to 8 p.m.) a reception with food and entertainment will be held at the Good Life Farm’s new cider house.
More information including downloads, links to participating sites, and maps can be had at: http://fingerlakespermaculture.org/permaculture-tour/
Information about Cayuta Sun Farm and our activities on August 22nd can be found at: http://cayutasunfarm.com/2015/08/17/bbq-tour-august-22/
Travel safely and we look forward to your visit,
Cayuta Sun Farm 607-227-0316
We’re excited about the upcoming 2015 Building Resilient Communities Convergence, October 8-11, at the beautiful Solar Living Institute in Hopland, CA. (2 hours north of San Francisco).
This Convergence is a combined effort of the 10th Northern California Permaculture Convergence, Transition Movement Initiatives, and the NorCal Community Resilience Network. The event will bring together people from Northern California, the West Coast, and beyond for an inspirational weekend of intensive focus with a common goal: to design, build, and strengthen sustainable communities and habitats, in accordance with nature, for humans, plants, animals, the greater bioregion, and the Earth at large.
We are estimating 500+ sustainability enthusiasts, permaculture designers, social entrepreneurs, community organizers, social justice activists, and citizens inspired to make a difference; who will gather to share best practices, tools, and technologies to strengthen our shared goals and movement at large.
More Information can be found below or on our website: www.permacultureconvergence.com
EARLY BIRD PRICING AVAILABLE NOW FOR A LIMITED TIME!
CONVERGENCE PROGRAM HIGHLIGHTS
• SPEAKERS INCLUDE: Joel Salatin, Bryant Terry, Starhawk, Brock Dolman, Trathen Heckman, Jeanette Acosta, Kelly Carlisle, Erik Ohlsen, Doria Robinson, Max Meyers, Brandi Mack, Kevin Bayuk & Many More!
• WORKSHOPS THEMES: Climate Change & Drought Solutions, Land & Nature Stewardship, Leadership Development, Organizational Capacity Building, Home & Neighborhood Resiliency, Regenerative Business, Alternative Economy, Appropriate Technology, Social Justice, Inner Resilience, Social Permaculture, Governance, and Many More!
• SKILL SHARES: Homesteading, natural building, seed saving, food production, fermenting, herbal medicine-making, and more.
• BIOREGIONAL NETWORKING: Connect with old friends, cross-pollinate, and make new connections with other allies in your local region and beyond.
• DELICIOUS FOOD: Community kitchen, affordable local cuisine, and a Saturday evening Harvest Banquet Feast!
• VILLAGE COMMONS: A model resilience community including a marketplace to buy local artisan products.
• MUSIC & AFTER-HOURS ENTERTAINMENT: Live music from The Luminaries and other local musicians, the Ultimate Permaculture Passion Show and other after-hours magic.
• CHILDCARE AVAILABLE: The Convergence is Family friendly event! We will offer childcare + a creative, fun, educational experience.
• ON-SITE CAMPING: with after-hours magic at the beautiful and whimsically sustainable Solar Living Institute
VENUE – SOLAR LIVING INSTITUTE
The Convergence will be hosted at the Solar Living Institute in Hopland CA (approximately two hours north of San Francisco), a beautiful 12-acre renewable energy and sustainable living demonstration site that is visited by 200,000 people annually. The site includes organic gardens, ponds, natural buildings, biodiesel fueling station, Real Goods Store, and the Solar 2000 – one of northern California’s largest solar arrays providing 160,000 kWh of clean renewable energy annually.
APPLY TO OFFER A WORKSHOP!
Priority deadline for workshops applications is Saturday, Aug 15th! To apply to offer a workshop visit: http://permacultureconvergence.com/workshops/
Volunteering for the Convergence is a great way to plug into an amazing community, as well as receive discount on tickets through our Worktrade Program. Volunteer opportunities are available both leading up to the Convergence and at the live event. To apply for worktrade visit: http://permacultureconvergence.com/volunteer-worktrade-application/
JOIN THE CONVERGENCE COALITION!
As a partner of the Building Resilient Communities Convergence, your organization or business will receive exposure at one of the most leading-edge conferences of sustainable development and community resiliency on the West Coast, reach an online audience of over 200k, and support our Diversity Scholarship Fund. To become a partner visit: http://permacultureconvergence.com/become-a-partner/
EARLY BIRD PRICING AVAILABLE NOW FOR A LIMITED TIME!
We are offering both single day and Full Weekend (3-day) tickets. Whether you are a seasoned permaculturalist, a transition town activist, a community organizer, or just excited to learn about a new way of living in greater harmony with people and the planet…you will find something in it for you!
-The Living Mandala Team
Building Resilient Communities Convergence
Oct 8-11, 2015
Solar Living Institute, Hopland, CA
The Finger Lakes Permaculture Institute
presents the 2nd Annual
Finger Lakes Permaculture Tour
See the practice of permaculture firsthand in the beautiful Finger Lakes region of New York.
Permaculture design uses ecological principles is to produce food, medicine, and other products while restoring the health of the ecosystem.
Learn about the wide range of permaculture practices at active sites including urban gardens to large-acre farms.
Connect and network with others who are interested in living more sustainably, and walk away with ideas for your own property.
Schedule of Events
Movie: Friday, August 21st
Viewing of the film “INHABIT” followed by discussion with filmmaker Costa Boutsikaris
Inhabit is a feature length documentary introducing permaculture. The film presents a vast array of projects, concepts, and people, and translates the diversity of permaculture into something that can be understood by an equally diverse audience. It is a call to action and a glimpse into what’s possible and what kind of projects and solutions are already underway. See the trailer: http://inhabitfilm.com
Schuyler County Cooperative Extension,
323 Owego St., Montour Falls, NY 14865
Montour Falls, NY
Tour: Saturday, August 22nd
Sites are open around the region for visitors:
9 a.m. – 12 p.m.: Visit sites in Ithaca and east and south of Ithaca
1 – 4 p.m.: Visit sites west of Ithaca
5 – 8 p.m.: Reception at the Finger Lakes Cider House
* Twisted Tree Farm, Spencer NY: http://twisted-tree.net
* Wellspring Forest Farm, Mecklenburg, NY: http://wellspringforestfarm.com
* Cayuta Sun Farm, Cayutaville, NY: http://cayutasunfarm.com
* CCE Schuyler County Teaching Garden, Montour Falls, NY: http://cceschyler.org
* Shelterbelt Farm, Caroline, NY: http://shelterbeltfarm.com
* Hawk Meadow Farm, Hector, NY: http://hawkmeadowfarm.com
*Edible Acres, Trumansburg, NY: www.edibleacres.org
*Rahma Edible Forest Garden and homestead sites, Syracuse, NY:
Wild Mushroom Foray
July 11th- Take a journey with local mushroom expert Carl Whittaker through the forests of Hawk Meadow Farm in Hector New York to search out wild mushrooms, many of them edible. After our mushroom walk (approximately 90 minutes) we will return to identify our mushrooms. Carl will be available for any additional questions you might have. Class from 10-1, cost $30. Register at www.hawkmeadowfarm.com or by calling our farm directly at 607 387 3424.