Network with people interested in permaculture design within any of New York's counties located north of New York City. Permaculture practitioners are welcome to join, share ideas and projects, and promote local events. Please limit your contributions to messages directly related to permaculture ideas and activities.
The Finger Lakes Permaculture Institute
with the generous support of our sponsors
3rd Annual Permaculture Tour Weekend
August 26, 27 & 28, 2016
Learn all the details at http://FingerLakesPermaculture.org
Three days of workshops, tours, socializing, networking, and learning in the cities, villages and countryside of the beautiful Finger Lakes Region of NY.
Friday through Sunday you can view a movie, visit sites, talk with other practitioners and enthusiasts, try hands-on workshops, and simply immerse yourself in the thriving permaculture scene of central New York.
Friday evening offers a screening of the movie “INHABIT: A Permaculture Perspective” followed a “Conscious Electronic Dance Music” party in bustling downtown Ithaca.
All day Saturday tour permaculture farms, gardens, parks, & homes ending with a reception at the Finger Lakes Cider House with music and a fundraising auction.
Sunday continues with networking and learning with over a dozen speakers and workshops at our Finger Lakes Permaculture Convergence and Plant Sale.
Admission to all events is free. However, we depend on your donations to support the Finger Lakes Permaculture Institute and the Permaculture Tour Weekend.
The Finger Lakes Permaculture Institute (FLPCI), founded in 2005, connects people with the environment and each other to design regenerative ecosystems for resilient communities. FLPCI holds events for people to learn sustainable and ecological design methods including workshops, apprentice programs, trainings and design certificate courses.
Learn all the details at http://FingerLakesPermaculture.org
I’m spreading the word about the natural building workshop in Troy, NY this summer. Join us in building an outdoor pizza kitchen with stone, cob, and round-wood. I’m excited to be hosting the event at the Vague Estates, a beautiful site, with acres of woods and water that is perfect for a building retreat. Held July 17th-23rd It’s going to be a great week, and I’m trying to reach folks that might enjoy it. Visit the website for more info. thanks!
We’ll have a room opening up mid-late August, at our place on 717 Otisco St, corner of Belmont St in Syracuse. NY. We are a collective house committed to ecological and social justice consciousness. We cook for each other, share meals & grocery shopping, grow some of our own food on site, & participate in regular chores to maintain the house & yards.
We strive for a lifestyle in which we do more with less, making rather than buying, building our ecological wisdom. We are project oriented and equipped for gardening, food preparation, bicycle care, work-shopping & crafting. We’re dedicated being a supportive, consensus-based, & inclusive home with open, compassionate communication & problem-solving.
>>> No hard drugs or substance abuse
>>> Plant-Based kitchen and household
>>> Monthly house meetings
>>> $400 per room ($500 for doubles) includes utilities, wifi and water
IC.org listing: http://directory.ic.org/24301/ Bitternut_Collective_on_Otisco_St
Facebook: https://www.Facebook.com/ BitternutHomestead
if you are interested, we have a list of introductory interview questions you can complete and send back in as a first step:
1) Where do you go to school/work currently? How will you support yourself financially while a housemate? Where are you moving from, locally or from out of Syracuse? What are your current living arrangements and why are you looking for new living arrangements? How long do you plan on staying at Bitternut?
2) Have you ever lived in a collective house or Intentional Community before, and what are your questions, expectations, limits, and concerns?
3) Who would be moving in with you (if anyone)? What are your dietary preferences (we practice a plant-based diet)?
4) Are you able to reside with us while construction, finish work, and general site developments are in process?
5) Please provide one housing reference and one personal reference.
6) What time period would you be looking to move in if you were accepted?
7) Are you a dog person or a cat person (Cats are not permitted due to resident allergies, and we currently have one dog).
8) Describe your political philosophy in 3 sentences or less.
9) If you had a full day of free time, how would you most likely spend it? How do you spend your leisure time?
10) Are you a "kitchen person"? Are you a "garden person"? What do those terms mean to you? What does it mean to you to participate in the household and the social justice/ecological wisdom mission of the collective?
Send to BitternutHomestead@gmail.com or call Frank at 315-308-1372 with questions.
Dear All ~ Sharing about Upcoming Events with Sowing Solutions Permaculture Design & Education!
Summer Permaculture Design Certification Course, June 18-28
We are one month from the start date of our yearly Summer Intensive Permaculture Course, hooraaaay!!!
This is a highlight of the year for many of us, and we will be designing the new permaculture orchards, creative gathering spaces, and perennial food systems for the Snow Farm New England Craft Program in Williamsburg MA.
We will also be visiting and studying many of our local permaculture sites, demonstrating abundant lessons learned over the years as well as inspiring techniques for growing and preserving food, harnessing and conserving energy, connecting resources, and building resilience in local communities ~ we visit places such as Sirius EcoVillage, Wildside Cottage and Gardens, Beyond Sustainability Home, and Hickory Gardens.
There are a few seats left in the Summer PDC ~ please tell friends and family, as this is a truly nourishing and informative life changing educational event! www.PermacultureSeries.org
Autumn Weekend Series Permaculture Course, September – November
We are also 4 months from the start date of a weekend Series Permaculture Design Certification Course, that will be offered at a combination of Snow Farm and at Nine Mountain Retreat Center in Plainfeld MA.
This course is the same course as above, and includes visits to the local permaculture sites, yet we will be designing for the Nine Mouutain Home and Retreat Center, neighbor to the world renowned EarthDance Community.
This course will be held over 3 long weekends: September 24-27, October 21-23, and November 18-20. www.PermacultureSeries.org
Natural Building Workshops This Summer!!
We are delighted to be announcing upcoming Natural Building Workshops in Western MA!
- First will be an Earthen Plaster Workshop for a straw bale outbuilding: June 18 or June 25 (date to be confirmed!)~ This building is a demonstration of working with straw as a carbon sequestering practice, instead of allowing the straw to decompose or to be released into the atmosphere. We are utilizing the insulation properties and structural integrity of straw in this small building. This is a perfect opportunity to glimpse the construction details of straw bale construction, and to work with mixing and applying earthen / clay plaster!! Contact us for the registration details: PermacultureSeries
- We are also offering a Straw Clay Earthen Building Workshops: July 16-17 or August 5-6. This will be for a beautiful and well built straw bale home where a new construction of a straw clay wall will be created during our workshop ~ a perfect fit for divider walls and for retrofitting spaces with earthen materials. Earthen plasters, straw bale construction, natural building design will all be addressed. Contact us for registration details: PermacultureSeries
Please inform friends about these educational offerings, and we look forward to seeing you this season!
In gratitude and wishing you green abundance,
~Kay & the Sowing Solutions Team
A Call for Presentations & Hands-on Demonstrations
2016 Finger Lakes Permaculture Convergence
Sunday, August 28th
Presented by the
Finger Lakes Permaculture Institute
Cornell Cooperative Extension of Schuyler County
as part of the 3rd annual Finger Lakes Permaculture Tour (August 26-28, 2016)
A CALL FOR PRESENTATIONS
Interested in presenting at the 2016 Finger Lakes Permaculture Convergence? We are looking for presenters on permaculture-related topics within one to one and half- hours length.
Presentations may encompass a variety of topics including but NOT limited to:
· Social Permaculture
· Permaculture in Practice
· Permaculture Theory
· Profitable Permaculture Farming
· Edible Ecosystem Design Processes
· Forest Farming Techniques
· Community-Scale Permaculture
Topics that pertain to permaculture in the Finger Lakes region of upstate N.Y. are especially encouraged.
All proposals are due by 12p.m. on Monday, June 20th.
To submit your proposal, please fill out this form: https://goo.gl/rUqQgz
A CALL FOR SKILL SHARE DEMONSTRATIONS & ACTIVITIES
In addition to presentation sessions, the convergence will include hands-on permaculture technique or skill-building demonstrations. These demonstrations provide a unique opportunity to showcase and share useful strategies and techniques with the Finger Lakes permaculture community. If you are interested in conducting a demonstration at the convergence, please fill out this form: https://goo.gl/rUqQgz
A CALL FOR TOUR HOSTS
The Finger Lakes Permaculture Institute (FLPCI) presents the 3rd annual Permaculture Tour, showcasing the practice of permaculture in our region. Last year’s tour drew over 200 participants from throughout the northeast to visit sites in Syracuse, Ithaca and the surrounding Finger Lakes region.
The Permaculture Tour encourages face-to-face networking and sharing of knowledge and experience of area permaculture practitioners and enthusiasts. The event is designed to provide people with concrete examples of permaculture methods and principles in action.
If you have a permaculture-designed home, farm, or other type of site in the Finger Lakes region that you would like to share with the public, please fill out the simple form at: https://goo.gl/Jojw89
Thank you on behalf of the Finger Lakes Permaculture Institute, Cornell Cooperative Extension of Schuyler County and conference organizers.
Affordable, Permaculture-ready house for sale in 1000 Islands region – small footprint, raised veggie beds, chicken coop – room to expand!
Charming home overlooking Hyde Lake. Home has 2 bedrooms, 1 full bath, a walk-in closet and office/ exercise room off Master bedroom which could be a third bedroom. Downstairs features open floor plan, custom woodwork throughout the home. Woodstove and base-board heat (woodstove heats the whole house alone!). Outside features include a fenced-in raised-bed veggie garden, established perennial flower beds, outbuildings and chicken coop. The perfect little home. Minutes from the mighty St. Lawrence river! Surrounded by four beautiful lakes. Close to fishing, camping, hunting and ATVing. Looking to downsize? Check out this beautiful year round retreat with a cottage feel, surrounded by acres of undeveloped land!
Forest Farming Immersion & Permaculture Design Practicum
Hard-working, permaculture-inspired apprentices sought by Cayuta Sun Farm.
This apprenticeship is ideal for Permaculture Design Certificate graduates and others interested in forest farming, small-farm design, mushroom cultivation, pastured animal and perennial agriculture.
Cayuta Sun Farm is seeking individuals for a part-time program of farm work, design, and study from May through September. Apprentices receive weekly instruction through a permaculture design practicum based on continuing assessment and analysis of the farm’s systems. Opportunities to visit and learn at other innovative farms are also scheduled. Apprentices are provided with all their food and live at the farm.
Located between Ithaca and Watkins Glen, NY, Cayuta Sun Farm is a small woodland farm and permaculture education site established in 2003. Currently, log-grown shiitake mushrooms, grass-pastured poultry and forest-pastured pork are grown for market. The farm occasionally hosts visitors, tours, and permaculture-related educational events.
Learn more at http://CayutaSunFarm.com/…