Rochester, NY: Foodlink is hiring a Cooking Matters AmeriCorps Member
From: “Larkin Kimmerer”
Foodlink, the regional food bank located in Rochester, NY and serving 10 counties, is seeking an enthusiastic, highly-motivated individual to help manage and expand the nutrition education program. Foodlink partners with the national nonprofit Share Our Strength (strength.org) to offer Cooking Matters courses to our network of agencies. Foodlink is committed to building a hunger-free community and a sustainable regional food system by distributing food to a network of agencies and empowering individuals through nutritional and agricultural programs.
The ideal candidate for this AmeriCorps position is someone who values education, collaboration, and innovation and cares deeply about addressing the problems of hunger and poverty in the community.
Title: Cooking Matters AmeriCorps Member
Department: Programs/Community Nutrition
Reports to: Nutrition Education Coordinator
Application deadline: April 9, 2012
* Help to manage local online database of volunteers, supporters, site contacts, etc
* Work with Nutrition Education Coordinator to support Share Our Strength’s Cooking Matters national office, efforts as needed
* Meet all AmeriCorps reporting requirements and complete a 3, 7 and exit month member performance evaluation and other Cooking Matters AmeriCorps reporting documentation as necessary.
* Assist with the development of Cooking Matters outreach materials and handouts for Cooking Matters participants, as needed.
Course Coordination (40%)
* Participate in actively seeking out sites within the emergency food network to host Cooking Matters courses. Facilitate scheduling of courses to enhance use of produce in the emergency food system
* Complete all necessary preparations for Cooking Matters classes including, but not limited to, grocery shopping, assembling class materials and transportation of equipment.
Volunteer Management (30%)
* Assist in the management of local Cooking Matters program including the recruitment, and delegation of responsibilities to volunteers. * Assist in providing training sessions for all instructors. Help coordinator provide volunteer instructors with materials and information needed to teach classes and make sure they follow procedures.
* Work with Cooking Matters volunteer chefs and local Cooking Matters host sites to plan and execute high quality Cooking Matters courses. Provide chefs and sites with materials and information needed to host Cooking Matters courses, making sure they follow program procedures.
* Recruit and maintain relationships with Cooking Matters volunteer chefs, nutritionists and course assistants, who teach Cooking Matters courses locally, help with special events such as volunteer appreciation/recognition events and fundraisers or provide office support.
* Maintain a high level of working knowledge related to nutrition standards, regulations, and trends.
* Collaborate with other Foodlink departments, as necessary, to ensure high quality service to individuals within our network of agencies. * Collaborate with Kids Cafe, Summer Meals sites, and Emergency Food Recovery Organizations (EFRO’s) to schedule Cooking Matters course locations, including ensuring that Cooking Matters host site selection of Cooking Matters courses participants meets program goals and criteria. Assist sites in this area as needed.
* Excellent oral and written skills and ease in talking to the public * Demonstrated ability to work independently and as a team member * Flexible, resourceful, and adaptable to unexpected situations
* Well organized, detail oriented, and able to successfully muti task. * Proficient computer skills (including Microsoft Suite)
* Certified Food Handler (ServSafe) preferred
* Ability and willingness to travel to different neighborhoods in Rochester, NY
* Good driving record, reliable transportation, and driver’s license * Fluency in Spanish and/or other languages a plus
* CPR and First-Aid training, or a willingness to acquire training
* Experience working with youth and/or adults in formal and/or informal education programs
* Strong interest and/or educational background in nutrition, cooking, culinary arts, health and wellness, health education, food systems, and food access
* Employment contingent on successful passing of drug test and criminal background search (including a FBI finger print based criminal history check). * Note: The above description is illustrative of tasks and responsibilities. It is not meant to be all-inclusive. AmeriCorps member in this job will follow other instructions and perform other related duties as required.
The AmeriCorps Member will receive health care coverage, a pre-tax stipend of $12,245 over the course of the term of service, and an education award of $5,350 upon successful completion of minimum 1700 hours of service.
Please submit resume and cover letter to email below or to:
Human Resource Department
1999 Mount Read Boulevard
Rochester, NY 14615
or email at: email@example.com
Position to start: June 1, 2012 (flexibility to start earlier if possible).
Available to attend Cooking Matters training May 2- 4th, 2012 in St. Louis, Missouri preferred, but not required.
Only serious candidates should apply. Only successful candidates will be contacted.